Reading Notes: Ovid's Metamorphoses #1

Out of my first readings, I think I could relate Phaethon and the Sun, specifically Phaethon's parentage, back to the Kardashians. It talks about how lo is a goddess worshipped by crowds, similar to a modern-day celebrity like Kim Kardashian, and then she bore a son, Ephaphus, that was conceived from mighty Jupiter's seed. Kim has a son named Saint that she had with Kanye West. Epaphus had a friend, Phaethon, and Saint has a friend, Reign (Kourtney's son), who was equal to him in spirit and years... which is actually true.

In the story, Phaethon (Reign) wanted proof of his high birth to claim his divinity. I find this funny because I feel like people always make jokes about how Kourtney's kids aren't as famous or a big deal as Kim's kids, similar to this story. In this story, Phaethon seems kind of desperate to me, while lo and Epaphus are presented as better than everyone else. 

This story didn't set the setting very well, but when I rewrite it I think I would do it in Calabasas (classic). I could keep the general plot the same, but add onto it. Perhaps it turns into a story more about how Phaethon, whose name I will change to Reign, knows there is more to life than just fame and being a celebrities son, while Saint (Epaphus) is content knowing that his mother is "divine" or famous. 

In the story Phaethon sets out for the Palace of the Sun, Clymene (who would be equivalent in this story to Kourtney) tells Phaethon that she swears to him, her son, that he is the child of the Sun. This could be flipped if Reign didn't believe he was a child of the Kardashians. Phaethon is delighted at his mother's words and imagines the "heavens in his mind, darts off and crosses Ethiopia his people's land..." and he could run off into Calabasas. 

Saint West, 3 years, and Reign Disick, 4 years. Found on Pinterest 

Bibliography: Ovid's Metamorphoses, translated to English by Tony Kline.

Comments

Popular Posts