Reading Notes: How Sun, Moon, and Wind Went Out to Dinner #1



Story source: Indian Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1912).

In this story, the Sun, the Moon and the Wind are all siblings, and one night, they all went to dinner together. They even invited their aunts and uncles...Thunder and Lightning. They were the children of one of the far Stars in the sky, but she didn't go. I love the idea of personifying everyday things, like they have in this story. 

The Sun and Wind were greedy and selfish, and ate the food themselves, without taking any home for their mom - but Moon didn't forget about her. When they got home, their mom asked the Sun, then Wind if they brought food home for her. They both said no. Then, she asked Moon. Finally, Moon gave her the food. Because of this, Star cursed Sun and made her rays scorching hot so no one could ever touch her again. Then, Star turned to Wind and said you will always be avoided and shrivel living things." And then of course, the opposite happened for Moon. And that is why the Moon is so beautiful and why we look up to it's calm rays still. 

I think it would be fun to rewrite this story but doing it with weather conditions too. My favorite stories to read are ones like this, where it ends with a reason for why things are the way they are now. I don't know if I would be any good at writing them as much as I like reading them, but I think I definitely want to try to add a couple stories like this to my portfolio! 


Sun and moon relationship. Link here

Comments

Popular Posts