Feedback Thoughts


#1 Why rejection hurts so much - and what to do about it 

I chose this article because I think that I do take rejection hard sometimes, especially in the past, and some things do bother me easily; but I would definitely say I've gotten more comfortable with feedback and things like that, especially after being an art minor (and in Gaylord sometimes too). Growing up as a dancer, I've always been able to take critiques and feedback easily as well, mostly because I knew I'd be the one that would benefit in the long run. In the art school specifically, we did a lot of critiques in class with the other students and our teachers (and some of them were really harsh... and I cried once... lol), but I definitely think they made me stronger as a person and more comfortable in situations like that and I can take harsh feedback way better than I could before (and I was taking it much more personally than I should have). I did think this article had some good points and I thought it was very interesting to read, especially about the science and psychology behind all of it. 


This article stood out to me specifically because creative work is something that I am considering pursuing after college. In the creative world it definitely is hard to not compare yourself to others, so I thought I could benefit from reading this article. Something this article talks about that I am going to start doing more is viewing the creative world as a community, rather than competition. I also need to abandon perfectionism. It's very easy to get caught in slightly tweaking something over and over again when it makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. I'm also guilty of asking for other's opinion on certain designs when I am doubting myself and my decisions. 


A motivational graph, linked here

Overall though, I welcome feedback and think that everyone can benefit from constructive feedback so I am looking forward to getting some from my peers!

Comments

Popular Posts